Are you passionate and committed to Africa’s development? Good academic and professional accomplishments? A commitment to address key issues in the development of Africa? Want to make a difference, be part of something bigger than yourself, and discover your capacity for leadership? If so, you’re the one we’re looking for.
Application Deadline: December 15th 2019
African Development Bank – Young Professionals Program (YPP)
The Young Professionals Program (YPP) of the African Development Bank is a three-year leadership opportunity for the development of the future leaders of the Bank. For a fruitful and fulfilling career path in growth, we recruit highly qualified and motivated professionals from our member countries.
Through the YPP, the Bank maintains consistency and excellence in both managing its work programs and supplying its national member countries with policy advice.
Objective of African Development Bank – Young Professionals Program (YPP)
The Young Professionals Program (YPP) focuses on high potential, best-in-class young professionals with a strong passion for the growth of Africa. This program is not an internship arrangement; it provides excellent career opportunities to promising young professionals with leadership potential, a proven record of outstanding academic and professional achievement to make a difference to the African continent’s growth.
The YPP offers a comprehensive training curriculum including an academy of learning that trains students to be skilled and professional leaders with significant impact.
The program is for a three-year period; the first two years will be spent on mandatory rotational placements across the different functions of the bank.
The third year of rotation will be spent in the Home Complex where the YPP will graduate in a staff position. Only YPPs with high performance and high potential will be integrated into the workforce of the Bank.
The Professional and Personal Development Program is structured under the Young Professional Learning Academy with a specific learning intervention.
These learning interventions serve to deepen technical knowledge and build leadership skills needed to effectively deliver task functions and future roles in the Bank.
The learning academy also includes on – the-job training that requires immersion into the Bank’s various functional areas for hands-on project experience and various work assignments.
Eligibility Requirements for African Development Bank – Young Professionals Program (YPP)
.• Be a citizen of a member country of the Bank.
• Be 32 years of age or younger by 1st May 2020.
• Possess a Master’s degree or equivalent in any discipline that is relevant to the business of the Bank, with outstanding academic credentials.
• Have at least 3 years work experience in the areas related to the high priority areas (Hi-5s) as mentioned above.
• Interested candidates with coding, e-development, animation and platforms designs and maintenance are required this year.
• Demonstrable hands-on experience on the African continent and/or in other continent’s developing countries is a necessary requirement.
• Have passion for Africa’s Development
• Able to leverage knowledge, share and coach others. Work effectively in teams with displayed high adaptability to a diverse environment.
• Strong analytical skills, an entrepreneurial drive, results- orientation and problem-solving capability.
• High business acumen and innovative mindset.
• Be proficient in the Bank’s working languages, either English and/or French.
• Have skills that enable you work in a digital environment and embrace technology as it evolves.
• Be willing to live in Abidjan, Cote d’Ivoire the Bank’s Headquarters, and any other country in Africa where the Bank may require your services.
Benefits of African Development Bank – Young Professionals Program (YPP)
Coaching: During rotations, your coach will identify development areas for you in your current role.
Mentoring & Sponsoring: Mentors &Sponsors will be selected from Vice-Presidents and Directors depending on the different domains that the Mentees wish to evolve This Program will also help build women in leadership which is a priority for the Bank. Through mentoring and sponsoring, the Talent Councils will identify YPs who need to be fast tracked for the succession plan for VPs and Director’ positions, decide on the projects to be conducted. There is a need to define implementation guidelines: TORs, work plan, etc.
A“Buddy-System”: You will be assigned a “Buddy” from the previous YP cohort, who will serve as a source of information and support during your familiarization with the Bank and country of assignment.
YPP Coordination Team: the YPP team is dedicated to the recruitment, training, performance evaluation and rotation management of the YP cohorts to ensure their successful completion of the Program.
YP Liaison Team (YPLT): two representatives are selected from the YP cohort and serve as active link between all YP cohorts and the YPP Coordination team in the HR Department. The YPLT serves one year and also sits on the YPP Steering Committee.